|The B-36 "Peacemaker" was a giant by all measurements. The B-36 was the cornerstone of the USAF’s Strategic Air Command nuclear deterrent with its intercontinental range and enormous payload. With a wing span of 230 feet, gross weight of nearly 410,000, and ten engines the B-36 was nearly twice the size of any aircraft ever previously produced. With almost 250 aircraft deployed by SAC the B-36 force countered the Soviet nuclear threat of the early Cold War.
The B-36 depicted here is departing runway 17 at Carswell AFB near Ft. Worth Texas with "six turnin’ (props) and four burnin’ (jets) during the summer of 1956. The last Peacekeeper left active duty on February 12, 1959 marking the closure of the last chapter of piston-powered heavy bomber aircraft.